Has your charming feline friend been sick for a while? She is not taking the meal and not even water. A question is bothering you for quite some time. How long can a sick cat go without water?
To put it simply, a healthy cat can survive for three days without water. But a sick and already weakened cat is not supposed to survive more than 24 hours without water.
Water is essential to help in the blood flow and internal organs to work correctly. What happens without water is severe dehydration. Severe dehydration can lead to serious health complications and, ultimately, death.
Let’s shed some light on this matter and learn what happens if they don’t drink water.
How Long Can a Sick Cat Go Without Water?
Cats are specialists in survival because of their resiliency and self-sufficiency. Their body is made of about 75% water. When it comes to food or water, they cannot go long. As a cat owner, your duty is to make an even balance between water and food in their body.
A healthy cat can go for a week or more without food and three days without water. But a sick cat cannot survive more than 48 hours without food and 24 hours without water. Their body gives up beyond this timeline.
What If A Cat Doesn’t Drink Water?
Cat’s little body cannot retain nutrition for long, just like humans. They need to drink enough water to stay healthy and active. Drinking less water can lead to severe health issues.
- Their body becomes dehydrated due to the loss of fluids and minerals.
- They might have constipation because of dehydration.
- Dehydration also leads to vomiting, a quick heart rate, and dry gums.
- They may pant more often.
How to Encourage a Sick Cat for Drinking?
Cats are very indifferent to drinking water. But, hydration is so important for their immune system, especially for sick cats. Follow the tips below to encourage them to drink water.
- Leave water in the bowls throughout the house.
- Give them mineral water to drink.
- Fill the bowls half.
- You may add flavor in the water like tuna juice.
All things considered, owning a cat involves a lot of responsibilities. As long as you are careful about them, they won’t have any problem. Even when you are out of home, make sure they have enough water to drink.
- Best Cat Food for Weight loss
- Best Dry Cat Food
- Best Outdoor Cat Food
- Best Affordable Wet Cat food
- Best Grain-free Cat Food
- Best Dry Kitten Food
- Best Limited Ingredient Cat Food
- Best Cat Food for Hairballs and Vomiting
- Best Cat Food For Sensitive Stomach
- Best Senior Cat Food